The Latest Time Saving Tips for Your SharePoint Deployment

Corey Roth

Subscribe to Corey Roth: eMailAlertsEmail Alerts
Get Corey Roth: homepageHomepage mobileMobile rssRSS facebookFacebook twitterTwitter linkedinLinkedIn


Related Topics: Government News, SharePoint Archiving Journal, Microsoft Developer, CIO/CTO Update

Blog Feed Post

Troubleshooting Sandboxed Solutions in SharePoint 2010

The service called Windows SharePoint Services UserCode Host v4 was set to disabled

Microsoft Development on Ulitzer

I have a talk coming up on Code Access Security at SharePoint Saturday Kansas City next month so I have been investigating sandboxed solutions quite a bit.  After all, sandboxed solutions are just another flavor of using CAS with some additional things thrown in.  However, after I got my SharePoint server installed and configured, I found that sandboxed solutions were not working.  When I configured my solution to use the sandbox and tried to deploy it, I got an error stating that the Windows SharePoint Services UserCode Host v4 was disabled.  I found that to be odd, so I decided to do some looking around.  I ended up in the Windows Services MMC snapin and found that the service called Windows SharePoint Services UserCode Host v4 was in fact set to disabled.  I changed this to automatic and started the service up.  I tried to deploy again, but unfortunately thing still weren’t working.  Here is the error I got this time.

Error occurred in deployment step 'Activate Features': This feature cannot be activated at this time. The contents of the feature's solution requires the Solution Sandbox service to be running.

This one took a little bit more digging, but I ended up going to Central Administration and looking at the Services on Server page.  I thought what I needed would be under Service Applications, but that was not the case.  I took a look at Services on Server and quickly discovered that the Microsoft SharePoint Foundation User Code Service had not been started.  I started the service and then I tried to deploy again and the errors went away and my sandboxed web part worked as expected.  I’m not sure why neither of these started.  It could be because I don’t have enough memory allocated to the virtual machine or maybe it’s always disabled by default.  Anyhow, be sure and check these two things before you try to work in the sandbox.

UPDATE: @MSwannMSFT confirmed for me that this is by design.  It’s disabled for performance and security since it spins up three new processes.

More Stories By Corey Roth

Corey Roth, a SharePoint Server MVP, is a consultant at Hitachi Consulting specializing in SharePoint and Office 365 for clients in the energy sector. He has more than ten years of experience delivering solutions in the energy, travel, advertising and consumer electronics verticals.

Corey specializes in delivering ECM and search solutions to clients using SharePoint. Corey has always focused on rapid adoption of new Microsoft technologies including Visual Studio 2013, Office 365, and SharePoint.

He is a member of the .NET Mafia (www.dotnetmafia.com) where he blogs about the latest technology and SharePoint. He is dedicated to the community and speaks regularly at user groups and SharePoint Saturdays.

Comments (0)

Share your thoughts on this story.

Add your comment
You must be signed in to add a comment. Sign-in | Register

In accordance with our Comment Policy, we encourage comments that are on topic, relevant and to-the-point. We will remove comments that include profanity, personal attacks, racial slurs, threats of violence, or other inappropriate material that violates our Terms and Conditions, and will block users who make repeated violations. We ask all readers to expect diversity of opinion and to treat one another with dignity and respect.